NASHVILLE – Tyler Black drove in three and the trio of newcomers all knocked hits as the Nashville Sounds (70-61, 30-27) handled the Memphis Redbirds (64-68, 25-32) 6-2 on Tuesday night at First Horizon Park. The victory snaps Nashville’s three-game skid.
Rehabbing Milwaukee starter Julio Teheran (1-0) cruised through the early innings, holding Memphis hitless until Matt Koperniak singled with two outs in the fifth to plate an unearned run. The MLB vet fanned three of the first six hitters he faced. Ethan Small (1.2 IP) and J.B. Bukauskas (1.1 IP) each earned holds before Jason Alexander finished the game with a clean ninth.
Greg Allen had an impressive showing in his first game with Nashville, slashing two hits, scoring twice and stealing two bases. Devanney and Abraham Toro also had two hits (one double) apiece, with each whacking doubles. Jahmai Jones worked three walks on the night.
- Abraham Toro extended his on-base streak to 24 games with a third-inning single. He is hitting .389 (37-for-95) with 20 runs, 13 doubles, three homers, 16 RBI and a 1.084 OPS during the streak dating back to July 9.
- Cam Devanney extended his on-base streak to 20 games with a single to lead off the fourth inning. It is the sixth streak of 20 games or more by a Sounds player this season. Over the span, he is batting .308 (20-for-65), 10 runs, seven doubles, a home run, nine RBI, nine walks and an .854 OPS.
- Tyler Black’s two-out triple in the first inning was his 10th of the season. He is now a part of an eight-way tie for the most three-baggers in the minor leagues.
- Since August 1, Jahmai Jones has worked 28 walks, the second most in the International League over the span. He trails only Toledo’s Justyn-Henry Malloy (36).
- Julio Teheran did not allow a hit through the first 4.2 innings of tonight’s game.
The Nashville Sounds are the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers and play at First Horizon Park. Single-game tickets for the rest of the 2023 season are on sale now. For more information call 615-690-4487 or e-mail [email protected].