Friday Night kicks off the Titans season with a team that seemingly has become intertwined with the team in the Atlanta Falcons.
First the facts:
· Game Time- 6:00 p.m.
· TV- WKRN
· Radio – 1045 the Zone
It’s been a match made in heaven for The NFC West’s Atlanta Falcons and the Tennessee Titans. This strange relationship started when Arthur Smith, last season’s Offensive Coordinator, took over the head coaching job for the Falcons. Then the Falcons traded future Hall of Fame receiver Julio Jones to the Titans for pennies in draft stock. Add to that that former Titans Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees is holding the same position for the Falcons. AND former Titans TE Parker Hesse and WR Tajae Sharp are in positional battles to make the Falcons team. All of this makes for a pre-season game that usually wouldn’t have any hype.
What To Expect
No stars here. No Julio. Maybe…Maybe one or two series with the starting offense, expect to see the #1 defense go a little longer. It’s pre-season. It’s how these things go. So, what will I be watching for Friday night?
· How good is back-up QB Logan Woodside? Because, the thought of Matt Barkley as a back-up nauseates me.
· How far has RB Darrynton Evans come? As King Henry’s back-up I want to see if he has gotten up to that “next step”.
· WR battle- Julio, AJ , and Josh Reynolds seem set with maybe Reynolds position being the most pushed in the slot. Chester Rogers, Racey McMath, Mason Kinsey and Marcus Johnson are all having great camps. Rogers is probably safest of this group as a veteran and because he is listed to return kick-offs.
· Firkser- The TE showed flashes of awesomeness last year, can he build on that?
· Special Teams- RB Evans is listed as the Punt Returner and WR Rogers as Kick Returner. I am sure others will get their shots, but, special teams is a huge key to field position. Also, there is the battle of the kickers between Finken and McCann.
· Defense- Mostly what do the LBs and secondary look like. S and hometown favorite return to his familiar position this season and training camp rumors are he is returning to his old self from 2 seasons ago when he was in the conversation for Defensive POY. What about Fulton and Jackrabbit Jenkins at CB? Lots of talk around Jenkins. And a position I am most curious about is the LB position. There are some questions from this group last year. Obviously, OLB Dupree won’t suit up, and I will be surprised to see much of Brown or Evans. It’s how the backups perform, that I am most curious about. Depth at this position is questionable.
Enjoy the game and #